• Today
    June 18

  • 08:18 PM

Trinidad government files lawsuit as sea bridge controversy continues

CMC,

Added 24 February 2018

justice

PORT OF SPAIN – The Trinidad and Tobago government has filed a lawsuit against the broker for Super-Fast Galicia Intercontinental Shipping alleging that it broke a contract to provide services on the sea bridge between the two islands.

Minister in the Office of the Attorney General, Stuart Young, told Parliament Friday that the Keith Rowley government would be seeking damages as a result of the decision to pull the vessel.

“I want them to tell the population again, how the Galicia was procured, who is it that procured the Galicia who was paid for procurement of the Galicia,” Young told legislators, adding that Attorney General Faris Al Rawai, who filed the law suit earlier this week, has indicated that there is further action to come out of the Galicia transactions.

Last April, the owners of the Galicia withdrew its service on the sea bridge which it had operated since 2014.

Young told Parliament that the government had discovered a “secret room” at a state-agency where people employed by the former administration were working on laptops overtime to “backfill” documentation.

“What they were doing is they (were) creating tender documents. And so sloppy in the work they were doing is they used the same handwriting on all four of the tender documents.”

He said that investigators here were being assisted foreign allies and that legal actions had commenced in New York and Miami.

But former housing minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said while government has spoken of extortion and bacchanal with the Galicia, there were still many unanswered questions regarding a replacement and predicted that taxpayers would have to meet legal bills of up to TT$100 million.

“They taking Intercontinental, somebody to court, who paying the legal fees. Is it the member for Port of Spain North? (Young). He is in trouble by himself. He don’t have time for legal fees,” Moonilal said. (CMC)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

POLL

Do you agree with Government's decision to seek IMF assistance?

Yes
No
Unsure

INSTAGRAM