- Sandals seeks to clear air regarding withholding taxes Read More
- Sagicor rebrands Harmony Hall location Read More
- ‘Enlist’ housing areas Read More
- Dari-Anne fit to be queen Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Meghan Theobalds is Miss Universe Barbados 2018 Read More
WASHINGTON − A man fatally shot himself in the head along the north fence of the White House on Saturday, the US Secret Service said in a statement.
Authorities were withholding the man’s name until relatives were notified.
The Secret Service said the man approached the White House fence along Pennsylvania Avenue shortly before noon EST, pulled out a handgun and fired several shots. None of the shots appeared to have been directed at the White House.
President Donald Trump was in Florida at the time and was briefed on the incident, a White House spokesman said.
There were no other injuries, police said.
Pedestrian and vehicle traffic around the White House were blocked off by police, which is routine in such incidents.
The Washington Metropolitan Police Department will lead the investigation of the shooting, the Secret Service said in the statement. (Reuters)