• Today
    January 18

  • 01:11 PM

Coroner rules ‘death by vehicular accident’

ANTOINETTE CONNELL, antoinetteconnell@nationnews.com

Added 12 March 2018


Ricky “Lil Rick” Reid was driving the other vehicle involved in the St George collision. (FILE)

Coroner Manila Renee yesterday gave a verdict of vehicular accident in the case of John Corbin, who was killed in a crash almost four years ago.

The inquest into the death of the 41-year-old autobody repairman, of Long Bay Development, St Philip, concluded after the Coroner’s Court heard from two final witnesses.

Corbin’s car and entertainer Ricky “Lil Rick” Reid’s vehicle collided at Boarded Hall, St George, during the early hours of April 7, 2014. He died at the scene.

Reid testified that he saw the headlights of a car coming towards him and he veered off, bracing for the impact. It caused his airbags to be deployed and he ended up with a mild headache. When he checked on the other driver, the man was groaning and eventually stopped.

Delroy “Pretty Boy” Stuart said he saw Corbin’s car overtaking another vehicle and then heard an impact, so he raced to the scene and came upon Corbin, who appeared to be dead. He added Reid was trying to get Corbin’s attention.

Corbin’s brother Alfonsa Corbin told the court the car belonged to him and had not been modified after he bought it from a man in 2014.

Meanwhile, wife Natalie Corbin said John made a pact with her and stopped drinking at the start of the year, using only energy drinks, cran water and Plus. She said he liked fast driving and had told her the car Alfonsa loaned him was used by its previous owner for racing.

Yesterday, the court heard from Beverley Hughes, operator of BN Variety at the corner of Halls Road and Belmont Road, St Michael, and Glyne Payne, of Cleavers, St John.

Hughes said she and John knew each other for about ten years, but got close three years before he died. During that time, he would talk to her daily, text and visit, but they did not have a sexual relationship.

She said the day before John died, he came by the shop and Payne bought two beers for him, one of which he only sipped and then fell asleep. Hughes added that after she chided him previously about how much he drank and the need to stop, at the start of the year he was drinking only Plus, cranwater and energy drinks.

He left the shop after midnight on April 7 and later that morning, she got a call from Payne saying that John had died.

Payne said John drank the two beers he bought him that Sunday. He had never seen him driving fast or reckless, he testified. (AC)


Dos and Donts

Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus


How has the intermittent strike action of the public service vehicle operators affected you?

Arrived late at destination
Experienced long delays
Had to walk
Not affected