- Now robots join fight against cancer Read More
- BEC: Shades of grey: duty of care Read More
- Gems defy odds Read More
- Captains can’t agree on T20 call Read More
- ALL AH WE IS ONE: Money for babies Read More
- EDITORIAL: Waiting for PM to give election date Read More
- VIDEO: Scotiabank Junior Monarch Finals Read More
A POSSIBLE MEETING with Prime Minister Freundel Stuart today will not stop the 25 000-strong Barbados Workers’ Union (BWU) from proceeding with an islandwide shutdown. Shortly after an over two-hour closed door meeting with union delegates at Solidarity House last night, general secretary Sir Roy Trotman said the strike was still on, but when quizzed by members of the media as to when the strike action would begin or what form it would take, the union boss said he was not ready to disclose those details just yet. “There will be a general strike but there will be other stoppages too,” he said. “The plans for action that were made are the plans for action that were made. We have been slapped in the face by the employer class in Barbados and what we had planned to do we will do. We have great support from all 25 000 members of our union,” he added, stating that the union had been “very patient” since the breakdown in negotiations last Wednesday.