Funeral director James Wilson (left) and his wife Hyacinth (centre) with Jan Husbands, who with her spouse Evans Husbands, is the owner of the up-market Broad Street Men’s and Women’s stores. (Picture by Sandy Pitt.)
- Sandals seeks to clear air regarding withholding taxes Read More
- Sagicor rebrands Harmony Hall location Read More
- ‘Enlist’ housing areas Read More
- Dari-Anne fit to be queen Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Mrs Maisel, Game of Thrones win on night of Emmy upsets Read More
If there was any doubt about how much being part of the Commonwealth means to some Barbadians, you had to be at Government House last week for Governor General Dame Sandra Mason’s reception marking the Queen’s 92nd birthday.
While Her Majesty celebrated at a birthday extravaganza at the Royal Albert Hall, featuring stars such as Kylie Minogue and Tom Jones, Commonwealth diplomats and other guests joined the GG here for the reception held under a large tent in the grounds of Government House.
Prime Minister Freundel Stuart and Chief Justice Sir Marston Gibson, members of Privy Council and some members of Cabinet were there, as well as the nine Barbadians honoured with the British awards of MBE, OBE and CBE last New Year’s day.
Resplendent in a dark green gown by local designer Nefertari, Dame Sandra presented those awards.
Guests were entertained by the Royal Barbados Police Force Band. (GC)