New Leader of the Opposition Joseph Atherley, wife Esther Atherley (centre) and sister Eudaline Atherley-Roberts. (Picture by Jameel Springer.)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Red win again at CP Read More
- England upstage Gayle Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Actor Jussie Smollett arrested, accused of lying to Chicago police Read More
Member of Parliament for St Michael West Bishop Joseph Atherley has been sworn in as Leader of the Opposition by Governor General Dame Sandra Mason.
This occurred moments ago at Government House.
Atherley was accompanied by his wife Esther Atherley, sister Eudaline Atherley-Roberts and son Joseph Atherley III.
President of the St Michael West branch of the Barbados Labour Party John Bancroft was also present.
Atherley said there was no fallout between him and the Barbados Labour Party but he left the party when he realised there was no Opposition in the House of Assembly.
He said his decision was not a reaction to him not getting a ministry nor was it a "repudiation" or rejection of the BLP.
The new Opposition Leader said he would not be forming a party and would name his two senators shortly.
Last night Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley was informed by way of letter from Atherley of his intention to serve in Opposition to the Barbados Labour Party Government.
This was further confirmed by letter from Governor General Dame Sandra Mason. (Nationnews)