Back row (from left) Jenson Sylvester, Randy Graham, Norman Barrow, Juan Bedoya, David Smith, Trisha Tannis, James Clarke. Front row (from left): Jim Reid, Joan Brathwaite, Edward Clarke, Alison Browne-Ellis, Ezra Prescod and Eddy Abed. (GP)
The Barbados Chamber of Commerce & Industry (BCCI) is pleased to announce that after the proceedings of the 192nd Annual General Meeting (AGM), Edward Clarke was elected as the 55th president of the BCCI.
Clarke is currently the executive vice president and general manager, Barbados operations at Sagicor Life Inc and has served the BCCI for the past six years. Most recently, he performed the role of senior vice president from 2016 to 2018.
Having received the mantle from Eddy Abed, Clarke has signalled his intentions to focus on the following key areas during his tenure:
- The revitalisation and growth of our economy;
- Full participation in a revitalised and effective Social Partnership;
- BCCI to have an oversight role in ensuring that there is strong fiscal management in effect in the public sector;
- Provision of support to the Government on the ease of doing business in Barbados;
- Liaise with the Government to develop a more transparent procurement process in the public sector to ensure there is an even playing field for all;
- The Chamber is of the view that the public should be able to do business with Government and the Private Sector on a 24 hour, 7 days a week basis;
- Cooperation with other regional and international chambers to create trade and investment opportunities for our members and to share best practices; and
- Advocacy of behalf of the BCCI Members
The BCCI is also pleased to advise that the 192nd AGM elected its council to serve for the period of 2018 – 2019. The newly elect council will be as follows:
Edward Clarke (president, BCCI) - Sagicor Life Inc.
Ezra Prescod (senior vice president, BCCI) - Sol Barbados Ltd
Joan Brathwaite (vice president – Finance, BCCI) - Deloitte
Alison Browne – Ellis (vice president, BCCI) - Cave Shepherd & Co. Ltd
Norman Barrow – A&B Music Supplies Ltd
Andrew Bynoe – Aone Supermarkets
Juan Bedoya – Arawak Cement Co. Ltd
Sanjay Amin – BCQS International
Jenson Sylvester – C&W Business
Jim Reid – Caribbean LED Lighting Inc.
Rolf Philips – Consolidated Finance Co. Ltd
David Smith – Massy Distribution Barbados
Randy Graham – Massy United Insurance
Mauricio Nicholls – Rubis Caribbean
James Clarke – TMR Sales & Service Ltd
Trisha Tannis – Unicomer (Barbados) Ltd
Eddy Abed – (immediate past president) – S. Abed & Co. Ltd
BCCI’s Secretariat extends its congratulations to the newly elected board and looks forward to working together to represent the members of BCCI and by extension be the trusted voice of the business community of Barbados. (PR)