Millicent Yearwood surrounded by family and friends during her birthday celebrations earlier today. (Picture by Sheria Brathwaite.)
- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Talma strikes gold Read More
- Baker captures silver Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Don’t spoil the ‘Endgame’ Read More
Supercentenarian Millicent Yearwood celebrated her 111th birthday today.
The former plantation labourer was feted by friends and family at a birthday party at her Thompson Road, Fitts Village residence.
Her only child, Mavis Small-Raper, said that she likes to eat ground provisions, cou-cou, and green bananas and rice with pig tail or pig snout.
Millicent is the third of four children and the only surviving one. She has also outlived her husband, Herbert Yearwood, who died in 1982.
However she still has a large family, as she can boast of having seven grandchildren, 20 great-grands and six great-great-grands.
Her favourite songs are How Sweet The Name OF Jesus and When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder.
Yearwood, who only suffers with some hearing problems, lived a very active life until recently. Her daughter said that two weeks ago she started “getting down”, and she has not been as talkative as usual. (SB)