Minister of Sports John King (FILE)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Slow pace at Classic Read More
- Gayle quitting One-Dayers after WC Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Rap scores Grammy breakthrough while girl power rules awards show Read More
Minister of Sports John King has expressed disgust at the spiralling number of positive drug tests that have engulfed sports such as bodybuilding and track and field.
King told the NATION the recent upsurge in positive tests for performance enhancing drugs was hurting the image of Barbados.
“The positive drug tests that we have had in bodybuilding and track and field are seriously troubling to me. The buzzword in the world right now is diversity and that means persons coming from the Caribbean now have more of a chance to ply our trades in various parts of the world as professional athletes. So why would you do things to put yourselves at a disadvantage?
“What you are doing is, you are stifling the efforts of the younger people coming behind you because every time you have these types of controversies, we are still seen as Third World countries which means that people are prone to brush us with one set of paint which gives the impression that Barbados is known for having a lot of drug use,” he said. (MK)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.