Front row, from left: Barbados Tourism Director for the United States Petra Roach, Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc chief executive officer William Griffith, Minister of Tourism Kerrie Symmonds and SATW president Barbara Ramsay Orr head the conference. (Picture by Alex Downes.)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Red win again at CP Read More
- England upstage Gayle Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Actor Jussie Smollett arrested, accused of lying to Chicago police Read More
Barbados' tourism sector has hit another regional and local milestone.
For the first time ever, the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) kicked off its annual conference in the Caribbean region with an opening ceremony this morning at the Hilton Barbados Resort.
Over 250 travel writers, bloggers and photographers will spend the next week touring, experiencing and writing about Barbados.
Additionally, SATW will discuss the state and future of the travel writing sector.
Minister of Tourism Kerrie Symmonds delivered remarks at the opening ceremony.
In welcoming the writers, Symmonds urged them to tell the story of Barbados, but not shy away from critiques as that would only serve to make the local tourism product better. (AD)