Luis Sebastian Weekes during Thursday’s training session. (Picture by Anmar Goodridge-Boyce.)
- Sagicor open to other offers Read More
- Republic Financial Holdings to acquire Scotiabank in nine Caribbean countries Read More
- Windies Hope for the win Read More
- Warning shot Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Shanta ready to Throw Wine Read More
Barbados’ hope of a first Youth Olympic medal got slimmer on Thursday as Jack Kirby and Luis Sebastian Weekes encountered a tough day in the pool at the Buenos Aires games.
Swimming in Lane 8 in the Boys’ 100 metres freestyle, Kirby never got his traditional quick momentum going and finished eighth in 52.29 seconds. Russian Jakub Kraska won the heat.
The United States-based Kirby missed a spot in the finals of the Boys’ 100 metres backstroke by a few seconds, after clocking 56.67 seconds in finishing seventh in the second of two semi-finals on Sunday.
He had qualified for the semi-finals after placing 15th overall but sixth in his heat. (AG-B)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.