Governor General Dame Sandra Mason chatting with centenarian Lilian Williams (Picture by Ricardo Leacock)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Red win again at CP Read More
- England upstage Gayle Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Actor Jussie Smollett arrested, accused of lying to Chicago police Read More
FOR MUCH OF HER LIFE, Lilian Williams toiled in the fields, growing and reaping ground provisions to sell.
To this day, even at 100 years old, she still speaks about heading into the fields to pull potatoes and pluck okras.
On Sunday , the island’s latest centenarian hosted Governor General Dame Sandra Mason in her Bibby’s Lane, St Michael home. As friends, family and church members looked on, she interacted with Dame Sandra, although she did not say much, as her daughter Norma Sobers said was her custom.
“She has always been very quiet and reserved, and very hard-working. Me and my sister helped her as much as we could,” said Sobers. (CA)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.