- Making monumental impact Read More
- British Airways boost for travel to and from Barbados Read More
- Bajans come up short Read More
- WI best not good enough Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Stan Lee, creator of many Marvel superheroes, dead at 95 Read More
The Barbados Olympic Association (BOA) is fully behind providing funds for the development and advancement of local boxing but its hands are currently tied due to an internal issue with the international boxing federation.
This was revealed by president of the Barbados Olympic Association, Sandra Osborne, while speaking to the Nation yesterday.
“The position that we find ourselves in with boxing is that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has mandated all national Olympic committees not to support any athletes in the sport of boxing through Olympic solidarity or Pan Am Sports funding, because of an issue that they are having with the president of the International Boxing Association.
“We cannot spend money we have received from the IOC because there has been a ban created worldwide. So funding that we would normally assist athletes with, we are unable to apply towards boxing,” she said. (RG)