Minister John King (FILE)
- FTC issues two decisions Read More
- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Mottley against clean sweep Read More
- Call for mini-stadiums Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Mandela arrives for visit with PM and Buju show Read More
Job losses may be on the way for the National Sports Council (NSC), but not due to the impending merger.
Minister of Sports John King believes there will be no further layoffs in his portfolio since the amalgamation of the Wildey Gymnasium and Sports Council won’t result in the duplication of duties.
King gave the partial guarantee in an interview with THE NATION just a week after the NSC had discussions with the Barbados Workers’ Union (BWU and the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) regarding retrenchments.
“The entities that are merging, all of their personnel do different things, [so] the only areas where you might find any sort of overlapping would be in accounts. The Gymnasium, for instance, does not have huge staff, so we are pretty confident that we will have almost zero job losses in terms of the mergers,” said King. (JM)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.