Darian King (FILE)
- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Former Jamaican cricketer murdered Read More
- CWI hits back at charges Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- New-look Crop Over coming Read More
Barbados’ top tennis player Darian King is two wins away from once again breaking into the main draw of a Grand Slam tournament.
In the early hours of Wednesday morning, King defeated a previous finalist Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 to advance to the second round of qualifying at the Australian Open.
It was an entertaining match, which saw King, who is ranked 172 in the world outlasted the No. 122 who was the world’s No. 8 player 13 years ago.
The two men were level on sets going into the decider but King delivered a stunning backhand with the score at 4-3 to claim the all-important break point on a packed Court 3. (AG-B)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.