CARICOM Secretary General Irwin LaRocque. (FILE)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Slow pace at Classic Read More
- Gayle quitting One-Dayers after WC Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Rap scores Grammy breakthrough while girl power rules awards show Read More
GEORGETOWN – The Guyana-based Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat Friday said it is investigating reports of the illegal use of the picture of its Secretary General Irwin LaRocque on the social media platform, WhatsApp.
The WhatsApp purporting to come from the Secretary General uses the telephone number +15156128117.
But the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) received a message from LaRocque indicating “an imposter” had set up a WhatsApp account “using my name and profile picture.
“The only WhatsApp account I have is on my Guyana cell number. Do not respond to any messages if it is not from the account with my Guyana cell,” LaRocque added.
Meanwhile, the Antigua and Barbuda Ambassador to CARICOM, Dr Clarence Henry said he too had received an email from the “Office of the Secretary General” last December, indicating that he (Henry) has been “reported to the Secretary General of CARICOM by your former Ambassador for misconduct”.
The email urges Henry to “kindly follow the below Link and sign in to view Report” adding “the report is accessible only via your government email.
“The Office of the Secretary-General would appreciate receiving an acknowledgement of receipt of this transmission via return e-mail,” the email added.
The CARICOM Secretariat said it had never issued such an e-email. (CMC)