• Today
    March 20

  • 02:22 PM

Cyber attack on Malta bank tried to transfer cash abroad

REUTERS,

Added 13 February 2019

malta-prime-minister-021319

Malta’s Prime Minister Joseph Muscat at his office in Valletta, Malta January 9, 2019. (Reuters)

VALLETTA – Bank of Valletta which accounts for almost half of Malta’s banking transactions, had to shut down all of its operations on Wednesday after hackers broke into its systems and shifted funds overseas.

Prime Minister Joseph Muscat told parliament the cyber attack involved the creation of false international payments totalling 13 million euros ($14.7 million) to banks in Britain, the United States, the Czech Republic and Hong Kong.

The funds have been traced and the Bank of Valletta is seeking to have the fraudulent transactions reversed.

Muscat said the attack was detected soon after the start of business on Wednesday when discrepancies were noticed during the reconciliation of international transactions.

Shortly after, the bank was informed by state security services that it had received information from abroad that the company had been the target of a cyber attack.

To minimise risk and review its systems, the Bank of Valletta suspended operations, shuttering its branches on the Mediterranean island, closing ATMs and disabling its website.

Muscat said the fact such an important financial institute had gone off line had impacted the economy and caused problems abroad for credit card holders who needed to make payments, such as to hotels.

Alternative arrangements were being made with credit card companies to help those affected.

Muscat said the Bank of Valletta was also considering how to resume its operations gradually to make sure that such an attack could not be repeated. He told lawmakers that depositors’ funds had not been touched.

“The money did not come from people’s (accounts) and the amounts have been traced,” he said.

The bank earlier told customers that their accounts and funds were “in no way impacted or compromised” and that it was working to resume normal services.

The bank is also carrying out an internal review to establish where exactly the attack originated from and how it was instigated.

Maltese banks have in the past reported cyber attacks but this was the first time that a lender had to shut down all of its operations as a result. (Reuters)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Should the Barbados Secondary Schools' Entrance Examination (11+) be abolished?

YES
NO

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM