• Today
    March 20

  • 02:19 PM

Michael Cohen sues Trump Organisation for unpaid legal fees

REUTERS,

Added 07 March 2019

michael-cohen-022819

Former Trump personal attorney Michael Cohen talks to the news media as his attorney and advisor Lanny Davis stands behind him after Cohen concluded his testimony at a House Committee on Oversight and Reform hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., February 27, 2019. (FILE)

NEW YORK – Michael Cohen, the former personal lawyer of United States President Donald Trump, on Thursday sued the Trump Organisation, saying it reneged on its obligation to reimburse him for millions of dollars of legal fees and costs related to his work.

In a complaint filed in the New York state supreme court in Manhattan, Cohen said the Trump Organisation stopped paying him last May after it became clear he would cooperate with various probes into his work.

These include Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian influence in the 2016 United States presidential election, as well as multiple congressional probes.

Cohen said the Trump Organisation owes him at least $3.8 million, and its failure to pay breached a reimbursement agreement that predated his cooperation.

The Trump Organisation did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Thursday’s lawsuit marks a further break for Trump’s longtime “fixer” from his former boss.

It came as Cohen, 52, prepares this spring to begin serving a three-year prison term following his guilty plea to campaign finance violations.

These included “hush money” payments to adult film actress Stormy Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, and former Playboy model Karen McDougal, who both said they had sexual encounters with Trump.

The president has denied their claims. He has also said his campaign did not collude with Moscow.

According to the complaint, Cohen entered the July 2017 reimbursement agreement when he and the Trump Organisation were pursuing a “joint defence” to various investigations.

The organisation reaffirmed its payment obligations in December 2017 after Cohen complained to Trump’s adult sons Donald Jr. and Eric, who both worked there, about “repeated delays,” according to the complaint.

Cohen said he has employed at least seven law firms in the last year on matters related to Trump.

He said these include two lawsuits by Daniels, the lawsuit by New York’s attorney general involving Trump’s namesake charity, the Mueller and congressional probes, and his criminal case.

The alleged missed reimbursements include $1.9 million for legal fees and costs, plus another $1.9 million that Cohen owes in his criminal case.

Cohen this week completed meetings with congressional investigators looking into Trump’s activities.

Testifying on February 27 before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Cohen called Trump a “con man” and “cheat,” but offered no direct evidence that Trump or his campaign colluded with Moscow in the 2016 election. (Reuters)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Should the Barbados Secondary Schools' Entrance Examination (11+) be abolished?

YES
NO

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM