- TOURISM MATTERS: Package deals the popular option Read More
- Bidding for Black Bess development? Read More
- Windies facing another loss Read More
- Walcott wraps up sixth title Read More
- Be fair and courteous to all Read More
- WILD COOT: A cultural thing? Read More
- Seven up for Miss Teen Barbados Read More
The boys from The Pine are on cloud nine. Before a massive crowd at Kensington Oval Friday night, Akademiks were crowned champions of the LIME Pelican Football Challenge when they edged Phoenix UFO Toyota Firehouse 1-0 in a thrilling final. Mario Harte’s 89th-minute strike was enough to seal the deal for Akademiks to walk away with the first prize of $100 000. The sound of the final whistle was all that Akademiks’ fans needed to hear, and they engulfed the field, sparking celebrations which no doubt went into the wee hours of the morning. Here, Akademiks’ players and fans posing with the winners’ cheque along with managing director of LIME Alex McDonald (right), and organizers Mia Mottley (third right) and Randy Harris (centre with cheque).