- ON THE RIGHT: Nipping insurance risks in the bud Read More
- ON THE LEFT: Saving consumers from insurance risk Read More
- Punches fly as boxers thrill Sea Rocks crowd Read More
- Napsac hurdle Read More
- Willie Lynch very much alive Read More
- WHAT MATTERS MOST: Questioning attitude, ability Read More
- Marking 50 in style Read More
PROVIDENCIALS, Turks and Caicos, Dec. 7, CMC- Former Turks and Caicos Premier Michael Misick has been arrested at the Santos Dumont Airport in Rio de Janeiro by Brazilian Federal Police. Neil Smith, the spokesperson for Governer Ric Todd, said Misick was arrested on Friday as result of an international arrest warrant issued by Interpol and further warrant issued by Brazilian Supreme Court, it was confirmed by the TCI Special Investigation and Prosecution Team (SIPT). "His arrest was sought in relation to an ongoing investigation by the TCI into issues arising from Sir Robin Auld’s 2008-09 Commission of Inquiry relating to alleged corruption and maladministration," Smith said in a release to the media on Friday. Misick was implicated in large-scale corruption in Turks and Caicos that led to the suspension of the democratic government in the TCI by the United Kingdom. He faces several “serious charges” relating to corruption and maladministration in TCI, according to a statement from the SIPT. UK authorities said they were “grateful” to their Brazilian counterparts for their cooperation, and are now seeking Misick’s extradition to Turks and Caicos.