- Reaping fruits of his labour Read More
- Great gains from BMEX project Read More
- Rangers pip Villa Read More
- THORNY ISSUE: Earning an Olympic trip Read More
- OUR CARIBBEAN: Decisive challenge for Caricom Read More
- IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST: A friend indeed … Read More
- Entertainers close Barbados display in Toronto Read More
A number of teachers at The Alexandra School walked out of the annual awards ceremony yesterday morning. In what appears to have been a quiet, orderly protest, the majority of teachers represented by the Barbados Secondary Teachers’ Union (BSTU) filed out of the school hall as soon as principal Jeff Broomes was introduced to give his report. They congregated in an upstairs area, returning almost 35 minutes later when Broomes had finished his report. President of the BSTU, Mary Redman, is maintaining her blackout of THE NATION, and did not entertain any questions about the action of the teachers. It is however understood that the walkout was an alternative to a proposed boycott of the entire event.