- Past BIBA president now Spain’s honorary consul in Barbados Read More
- Freedom makes first call Read More
- Trinis masters of the game Read More
- Children put their stamp on rally car Read More
- Divide and country will surely sink Read More
- Earning potential of young Bajans at risk Read More
- Drop in Foreday Morning bands Read More
CARICOM officials were caught by surprise when Prime Minister Freundel Stuart reported a week ago that Barbados had not yet implemented a free movement measure agreed to five years ago. Free movement specialist in the Bridgetown-based CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME) Unit, Stephen McAndrew, told the SUNDAY SUN that a Barbadian official had reported last year that the country had fully implemented the six-month entry for CARICOM nationals unanimously agreed by Heads of Government in 2007. He said while Barbados would not face any penalties from the 15-member regional bloc for misreporting, “conflict could arise” if CARICOM nationals insisted on being granted the time. Speaking at the close of the 33rd Regular Meeting Of The Conference Of Heads of Government in St Lucia earlier this month, Stuart said his administration was looking to give the automatic stay full effect, subject to security and other considerations.