- BES president predicts another downgrade for Barbados Read More
- More youths entering green economy Read More
- King giving back to Dominica with benefit match Read More
- Orange new QC swim champs Read More
- Let’s draw the line here Read More
- Consider the rape victim Read More
- Juniors shine at NIFCA Read More
ST. GEORGE’S, Grenada, Feb 20, CMC – Leader of the New National Party (NNP) Dr. Keith Mitchell was sworn in as prime minister of this Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country less than 24 hours after his party swept aside the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in general elections in Grenada. Mitchell, 65, a mathematician, becomes the island’s ninth prime minister since attainting political independence from Britain 39 years ago. He served as prime minister for 13 years prior to 2008 when the NNP was defeated by an 11-4 margin by the NDC. But Mitchell on Tuesday led the NNP to a clean sweep of the elections. As he took the oath of office before Governor General Sir Carlyle Glean, Mitchell repeated the message he gave supporters on Tuesday night that his administration would seek to unite the entire country following the six-week campaign. Friday has been declared a public holiday to commemorate the NNP’s electoral victory.