- Greece ends bailout odyssey but Athens not in festive mood Read More
- Petra Roach named 2018 Ambassador of the Year at Virtuoso Week Read More
- Knight Riders gain revenge over Tallawahs with victory in final-ball thriller Read More
- ‘Time for pro’ hockey players Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Kingdom Arts brings fashion to stage Read More
Fiery evangelist, real estate agent and former senator Gordon Matthews has died at the age of 88.
Reverend Matthews died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Friday after a battle with cancer, his brother Richard Matthews said yesterday.
Matthews spent about five days in hospital and was in the company of his wife Elma, their daughter Jennifer and his sister Barbara when he passed away.
Matthews once headed Big Mac, widely regarded as one of the most successful real estate companies in Barbados in the 1970s and 1980s.
He was a senator from 1971 to 1976. In politics and in real estate, he was an outspoken and controversial figure who admired former Prime Minister Errol Barrow, the Father of Independence.
Even the church did not escape his sharp tongue. (TY)