- Past BIBA president now Spain’s honorary consul in Barbados Read More
- Freedom makes first call Read More
- Trinis masters of the game Read More
- Bajans eyeing victory tonight Read More
- Divide and country will surely sink Read More
- Earning potential of young Bajans at risk Read More
- Parish Talent shows next month Read More
Fiery evangelist, real estate agent and former senator Gordon Matthews has died at the age of 88.
Reverend Matthews died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Friday after a battle with cancer, his brother Richard Matthews said yesterday.
Matthews spent about five days in hospital and was in the company of his wife Elma, their daughter Jennifer and his sister Barbara when he passed away.
Matthews once headed Big Mac, widely regarded as one of the most successful real estate companies in Barbados in the 1970s and 1980s.
He was a senator from 1971 to 1976. In politics and in real estate, he was an outspoken and controversial figure who admired former Prime Minister Errol Barrow, the Father of Independence.
Even the church did not escape his sharp tongue. (TY)