- Making monumental impact Read More
- British Airways boost for travel to and from Barbados Read More
- Jules to miss USVI game Read More
- Two reign supreme Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Stan Lee, creator of many Marvel superheroes, dead at 95 Read More
Today, we take a trip down memory lane, with the spotlight falling on former Prime Minister John Michael Geoffrey Manningham "Tom" Adams.
NAME: John Michael Geoffrey Manningham “Tom” Adams, Rt. Hon.. PV, MP, MA (Oxon), Prime Minister and Minister of Finance and Planning
BORN: Barbados, September 24, 1931; son of the late Sir Grantley Adams, KCMG, QC, LL.B, and Grace, nee Thorne.
EDUCATED: Harrison College, Barbados; Magdalen College, Oxford University, MA (1957); Gray’s Inn (1959).
MARRIED: June 2, 1962 to Genevieve, daughter of Philio Turner, LLB; two sons, Douglas and Rawdon.
CAREER: Freelance broadcaster and producer, BBC and LTV, Britain, 1955-1962; assistant general secretary of the Barbados Labour Party, 1965; MP 1966; Leader of the Opposition 1971-1976; Prime Minister of Barbados since September 1976.
- This article was first published March 12, 1985.