- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Former Jamaican cricketer murdered Read More
- CWI hits back at charges Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- New-look Crop Over coming Read More
THE BARBADOS INTERNET Exchange – BARIX – was launched today, with major internet service providers signing a memorandum of understanding.
Senior officials of LIME, Columbus Communications and Digicel signed the MOU this morning and two more service providers – Wi-Net and Ace Communications – are to sign later.
Establishment of the exchange is being hailed as a historic development which will mean reduced telecommunications costs, a speedier delivery of data and improved data privacy prospects.
Minister with responsibility for telecommunications Darcy Boyce and chief telecommunications officer Reginald Bourne were among those witnessing the signing at the Government’s Telecommunications Unit. (TY)