Firemen on the job at Enterprise Drive yesterday where a grass fire caused damage to an unoccupied building. Inset, Station Officer Gordon Boxill warning about grass fires. (Picture by Reco Moore)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Slow pace at Classic Read More
- Gayle quitting One-Dayers after WC Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Rap scores Grammy breakthrough while girl power rules awards show Read More
THE BARBADOS FIRE service (BFS) is warning Barbadians to clear bush around properties to reduce the threat of grass fires.
The call was made by Station Officer Gordon Boxill following an afternoon grass fire in Enterprise Drive, Christ Church, yesterday, which resulted in an unoccupied building being damaged. He said they also responded to a grass fire in Foul Bay, St Philip, earlier that day.
“We are seeing a lot of bush and grass fires right beside persons’ homes and buildings. We are responsible for fighting fire but we need the public to help us to make the place safer.
“If persons can clear as much as ten feet around their property, I’m sure that we would not get this type of damage,” he added.
Please read the full story in today's Daily Nation, or in the eNATION edition.