Dorsett, with jockey Jalon Samuel, won this year’s Sandy Lane Barbados Gold Cup. (FP)
- Sagicor open to other offers Read More
- Republic Financial Holdings to acquire Scotiabank in nine Caribbean countries Read More
- Windies Hope for the win Read More
- Warning shot Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Shanta ready to Throw Wine Read More
JOCKEY JALON SAMUEL and Dorsett are the winners of the 2016 Sandy Lane Barbados Gold Cup.
He was not picked among the favourites in this year’s conversation, but Samuel let Dorsett loose coming into the final turn as they raced for home earlier today at the Garrison Savannah.
The Bay horse stopped the clock in 1:49.2 to give the victory to Steve and Allan Madoo.
It was the third Gold Cup for trainer Robert Peirce.
“I just asked him and he gave me all he had,” Samuel said soon after the race.
Having won a Gold Cup before and losing it for an infraction, he took this victory in stride.
“I’m happy with this right now,” he said, even as elated supporters gathered to offer congratulations.
Patrick Husbands took second spot aboard Watchyourownbobber and Mario Pino was third with War Envoy.
Defending champion Sayler’s Creek, piloted by Rico Walcott, was fourth. (BN)