- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- First gold Read More
- Rain delays CARIFTA Games Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Don’t spoil the ‘Endgame’ Read More
A SURINAMESE WOMAN has been remanded to prison after appearing in court charged with several cocaine and cannabis related offences.
Thirty-two-year-old Nadhira Gautamie Echteld arrived in Barbados by air on April 24 and a search of her luggage by Customs personnel reportedly revealed two taped packages containing cannabis.
Police say she was referred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where a package of cocaine was “retrieved” from her vagina.
Echteld later passed out 22 packages containing cocaine which she had ingested.
The cannabis weighed two kilogrammes and the cocaine weighed one kilogramme.
Echteld appeared in the District “B” Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with possession of cannabis; possession with intent to supply cannabis; trafficking cannabis; importation of cannabis; possession of cocaine, possession with intent to supply cocaine; trafficking cocaine; and importation of cocaine.
She will return to court on May 5. (PR/NB)