Barbados’ No. 1 tennis player Darian King has received a wild card to the Rio Olympic Games. (FP)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Red win again at CP Read More
- England upstage Gayle Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Actor Jussie Smollett arrested, accused of lying to Chicago police Read More
THE BARBADOS TEAM to the Rio Olympic Games just got a bit bigger.
Darian King is heading to Brazil.
Earlier tonight, the nation’s No. 1 tennis player announced he had been given a wild card by the International Tennis Federation to compete.
“Olympics Rio 2016- Just received the call and Pleased to announce that I have been given a wildcard from the ITF (International Tennis Federation) and Olympic Committee to participate in the 2016 Rio Olympics!! #tryingtomakeit #wayupppp#dreamscomethrough #teamking,” King wrote on Facebook.
He will join swimmer Lani Cabrera, shooter Mike Maskell and triathlete Jason Wilson.
Several track and field athletes have also qualified for the Olympic Games, but will have to compete at the National Championships later this month. Among them are Akela Jones, Sada Williams, Tia-Adana Belle, Burkheart Ellis Jr and sprinters Ramon Gittens and Levi Cadogan. (SAT)