Barbados’ No. 1 tennis player Darian King has received a wild card to the Rio Olympic Games. (FP)
- Lenstec Barbados wins legal battle Read More
- LIAT CEO: Taxes on flights too high Read More
- Leslie explains BCA T20 toss rules Read More
- No new registration for netball season Read More
- What a ‘mother’ country! Read More
- Developing our public sector Read More
- Trinidadian LeShae Riley is the 2018 Winner of Caribbean’s Next Top Model Read More
THE BARBADOS TEAM to the Rio Olympic Games just got a bit bigger.
Darian King is heading to Brazil.
Earlier tonight, the nation’s No. 1 tennis player announced he had been given a wild card by the International Tennis Federation to compete.
“Olympics Rio 2016- Just received the call and Pleased to announce that I have been given a wildcard from the ITF (International Tennis Federation) and Olympic Committee to participate in the 2016 Rio Olympics!! #tryingtomakeit #wayupppp#dreamscomethrough #teamking,” King wrote on Facebook.
He will join swimmer Lani Cabrera, shooter Mike Maskell and triathlete Jason Wilson.
Several track and field athletes have also qualified for the Olympic Games, but will have to compete at the National Championships later this month. Among them are Akela Jones, Sada Williams, Tia-Adana Belle, Burkheart Ellis Jr and sprinters Ramon Gittens and Levi Cadogan. (SAT)