Destini Gibbs (left) and her mother Marqueita Kellman are very thankful for the Clara Lionel Foundation, which provided the scholarship allowing Gibbs to attend Cornell University. (GP)
- Enhanced shopping experience with Courts card Read More
- Call for probe into Amazon purchase of Whole Foods Read More
- Archer makes career-best strike Read More
- Body Blows Read More
- Need for better traffic signage in Warrens Read More
- Death penalty discussion necessary Read More
- Linkin Park frontman found dead in apparent suicide Read More
WHAT ARE the similarities between Robyn Fenty and Destini Gibbs?
Well, they are both born and bred Bajans but while one is a world-renowned mega singing superstar named Rihanna, the other may cause people to scratch their heads and ask “Who?”
But Gibbs is determined to make a name for herself – not in singing but in genetics – and she owes it all to Rihanna.
Gibbs is the first ever recipient of the Clara Lionel Foundation’s scholarship programme – the organisation started by Rihanna in 2012, which is named after her grandparents, Lionel Brathwaite and the late Clara Brathwaite. The intention is to award several people each year with the scholarship awards ranging from US$5 000 to up to $50 000, with the amount being based on the student’s financial need. (CA)
Please read the full story in today’s Weekend Nation, or in the eNATION edition.