Destini Gibbs (left) and her mother Marqueita Kellman are very thankful for the Clara Lionel Foundation, which provided the scholarship allowing Gibbs to attend Cornell University. (GP)
- BEC: Low productivity is everyone’s problem Read More
- TOURISM MATTERS: Tourism is the answer to problems Read More
- Easy wins for White, Skeete Read More
- Bayley’s triple champs Read More
- DEAR CHRISTINE: All I get now is a toot of his horn Read More
- All statistics not partisan, Mr Minister Read More
- 20 years for Strictly Latin Read More
WHAT ARE the similarities between Robyn Fenty and Destini Gibbs?
Well, they are both born and bred Bajans but while one is a world-renowned mega singing superstar named Rihanna, the other may cause people to scratch their heads and ask “Who?”
But Gibbs is determined to make a name for herself – not in singing but in genetics – and she owes it all to Rihanna.
Gibbs is the first ever recipient of the Clara Lionel Foundation’s scholarship programme – the organisation started by Rihanna in 2012, which is named after her grandparents, Lionel Brathwaite and the late Clara Brathwaite. The intention is to award several people each year with the scholarship awards ranging from US$5 000 to up to $50 000, with the amount being based on the student’s financial need. (CA)
Please read the full story in today’s Weekend Nation, or in the eNATION edition.