Corey Barrow of UWI (at left) and Kegan Wayde of Compton battle for possession. Barrow scored the fourth goal. (Picture by Kenmore Bynoe.)
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Late interest payments from Central Bank Read More
- Big win for Yellow House Read More
- Confident Nurse expects WI victory Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Sir Curtley now a dancing star Read More
DEFENDING FOOTBALL champions UWI Blackbirds collected the first win of their title defence on Thursday night as the Digicel Premier League continued at the National Stadium.
The men from Cave Hill easily brushed aside Waterford Compton 4-0, thanks to a first half hat-trick from captain Mario Harte and a second half strike from Corey “Santa” Barrow, who scored from a corner kick.
Meanwhile, in the earlier kickoff, Rendezvous continued their winning ways against Paradise, prevailing 2-1 through strikes in either half from Ray Snagg and Rashida Williams, respectively.Captain Armando “Suga” Lashley scored for Paradise in the final minute of stoppage time.
Compton held their own in the early exchanges, but Blackbirds soon settled and began to dictate proceedings. A counter attack down the right saw Barrow collecting a pass before picking a delightful through-ball to find Harte free in the Waterford defence. (ML)
Please read the full story in today's Saturday Sun, or in the eNATION edition.