Corey Barrow of UWI (at left) and Kegan Wayde of Compton battle for possession. Barrow scored the fourth goal. (Picture by Kenmore Bynoe.)
- Barbados wins major recognition with Expedia award Read More
- Sagicor open to other offers Read More
- Champions League draw: Liverpool v Bayern Munich, Man Utd v Paris St-Germain Read More
- Pride had belief Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Love for Smokey Read More
DEFENDING FOOTBALL champions UWI Blackbirds collected the first win of their title defence on Thursday night as the Digicel Premier League continued at the National Stadium.
The men from Cave Hill easily brushed aside Waterford Compton 4-0, thanks to a first half hat-trick from captain Mario Harte and a second half strike from Corey “Santa” Barrow, who scored from a corner kick.
Meanwhile, in the earlier kickoff, Rendezvous continued their winning ways against Paradise, prevailing 2-1 through strikes in either half from Ray Snagg and Rashida Williams, respectively.Captain Armando “Suga” Lashley scored for Paradise in the final minute of stoppage time.
Compton held their own in the early exchanges, but Blackbirds soon settled and began to dictate proceedings. A counter attack down the right saw Barrow collecting a pass before picking a delightful through-ball to find Harte free in the Waterford defence. (ML)
Please read the full story in today's Saturday Sun, or in the eNATION edition.