Kid Site (FILE)
- Williams Industries, former Digicel CEOs form new comppany Read More
- Cable & Wireless (West Indies) seeking outstanding common shares in C&W Barbados Read More
- ‘Help us’ get to Mississippi tournament Read More
- AAB to the rescue Read More
- Give more power to Auditor General Read More
- ‘House Negro’ leaders abound Read More
- Next James Bond film set for November 2019, no word on 007 star Read More
VETERAN CALYPSONIAN Kid Site will show the young artistes how bashment soca should be done.
As a result, he is also throwing his hat into the Bashment Soca competition.
“I am in the studio right now finishing up four tracks. I had a hand in inventing the style and it is close to chanting and dub, which is my thing.”
Kid Site, the four-time dub champion of Barbados, says the competition is a great idea for the genre but had some issues with the songs released last year.
“The competition is open for good writers to come forward. But all the bashment songs I have heard are about sex and the innuendos are about black women as sex objects and who aint wukking up.
“I like Stiffy; he is a good writer. I love Marzville’s Bang Bim as it had a very good hook. But they have to have topics that deal with society and what people can relate to. They have quite limited themes. All the artistes need to work on good melody and riddims to keep it interesting.”
Saying the songs were not impactful enough, the four-time Calypso Monarch said his topics would be about the minibus and ZR culture, motorcyclists, and he had a witty song about a clash between a country girl and a town girl.
“I am going to show them what a good writer I am, he said.”
Kid Site added that he also had two social commentaries for this year’s Pic-O-De-Crop competition. (NS)