Fire broke out in a pile of debris at the Wildey Gymnasium. (Picture by Justin Marville.)
- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Complex blues Read More
- HC and SMS against the odds Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- New-look Crop Over coming Read More
THE MAJOR RENOVATIONS at the Wildey Gymnasium may have just received an untimely setback.
Two fire tenders were called into action as a major fire broke out just outside the northern side of the 20-year-old building around midday.
A pile of debris, wood and old building materials spontaneously combusted around 12 p.m., forcing play at the surrounding National Tennis Centre to be halted.
Chinese workers and Gymnasium staff tried to put out the blaze before the fire got out of control. (JM)