A section from Fifth Element’s presentation of econMoney, by designer Kevin Small. (Picture by Nigel browne)
- Airbnb to remove listings in Israel’s West Bank settlements Read More
- Barbados, Symmonds, recognised at World Travel Market Read More
- Foundation encore Read More
- BiiG up Simpson, Smith-Padmore! Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Bim Tipsy is in full swing Read More
Youthful bandleader Kevin Small of Fifth Element capped his Crop-Over festival by winning the prestigious Robert Weekes Festival Designer of the Year award at the conclusion of the Grand Kadooment today.
This was the first time Small has won the award.
Small, whose Junior Kadooment presentation 'Candyland 246' had already won Best Junior Band just over a week ago, took several of the top prizes for his Grand Kadooment presentation 'econoMoney'.
The band won first place in the Historical, Topical, Community Costume and Best Presentation categories as well as prizes for Best Individual Male and the HIV/Awareness Award. The band also placed second in the Republic Bank Small Band of the Year category, behind Trevor Chase's Ooutraje.
Ooutraje's presentation of 'Celebrating de Icons in de Mas' also won first place in the Traditional Category and Best Individual Female.
Xhosa was another big winner, taking prizes for Republic Bank Large Band of the Year, Most Colourful Band and Best Party Band. (PR/AL-F)