Posted on

Squatters rebuild homes


marciadottin, [email protected]

Social Share

PORT-OF-SPAIN – Hours after the State moved in on squatters at Cashew Gardens and demolished several illegally erected structures and homes, the squatters returned to the area and started rebuilding their homes on Friday night and all of Saturday.And in an equally immediate response, Minister of Food Production, Land and Marine Resources Vasant Bharath made it abundantly clear that whatever structures were rebuilt on State lands in the area would be torn down to ensure strict compliance with the laws of the land.In an interview yesterday, Bharath said he had already spoken with National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy regarding the issue, and a zero-tolerance approach would be adopted.He said: “Clearly, they (squatters) are breaking the law and in defiance of the notices, if they are the same people who were removed yesterday (Friday). Obviously, we going to have to go back in (at Cashew Gardens) and remove those structures again.”Persad-Bissessar yesterday said the squatters were breaking the law and had been dealt with in accordance with the law.She added she had no fear of any backlash on the issue. “When I took office, I left fear behind,” she said.

LAST NEWS