Posted on

Typhoon kills 37


nationnews

Social Share
Share

MANILA, Philippines – Typhoon Conson blew out of the Philippines yesterday after killing at least 37 people, plunging the main northern island into darkness and leaving the new president fuming over forecasters’ failure to predict that the storm would slam into the capital.Emergency crews restored electricity to Manila and nearby provinces on Luzon island as normalcy crept back. Flights resumed and schools reopened yesterday. Authorities continued the search for 26 missing fishermen and started to repair the damage caused by the year’s first major typhoon.75 miles per hourConson hit the northeastern coast Tuesday night, packing winds of 75 miles per hour and gusts of 95 mph. It blew out of the Philippines into the South China Sea yesterday with sustained winds of about 55 mph per hour, government weather forecaster Gener Quiplong said.Conson, which has now weakened into a tropical storm, is forecast to make another landfall along the Chinese-Vietnamese border this weekend.The Philippines is hit by about 20 typhoons and storms a year, gaining a reputation as the welcome mat for the most destructive cyclones from the Pacific. Last year, back-to-back typhoons inundated Manila and outlying provinces, killing nearly 1 000 people.Newly-elected Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, in a nationally televised emergency meeting, scolded the weather bureau for failing to predict that Conson would hit Manila, which left government agencies unprepared for the onslaught.Yesterday, navy, coast guard and policemen recovered the bodies of 14 fishermen at Bataan province, west of Manila. Nine died when a wayward oil barge slammed into their boats, which were moored near Mariveles town, the coast guard said.The high winds and waves pulled up the barge’s anchor late Tuesday and sent the steel-hulled vessel hurtling toward about ten fishing boats which were being secured by their owners and crews, regional coast guard chief Commodore Luis Tuason Jr said.“The fishing boats were hit like bowling pins,” Tuason told The Associated Press.Another barge loaded with cooking gas ran aground and smashed into 25 shanties in Manila’s Tondo slum district but caused no deaths, he said.Fishermen’s bodiesThe bodies of five other fishermen were found at sea off Bataan, where their boats sank, he said.In Rosario town in Cavite province, south of Manila, an oil tanker ran aground at the height of the typhoon and apparently struck and damaged an underwater oil pipe, causing a small spill close to a wharf which was being contained, Tuason said.In all, 37 deaths were reported over six provinces and in a city near Manila.More than 10 000 houses were destroyed or damaged and 9 500 people were moved to 54 evacuation centres, the National Disaster Coordinating Council said. (AP)
 

LAST NEWS