Posted on

Fire ruins Powlett’s Place


rhondathompson, [email protected]

Fire ruins Powlett’s Place

Social Share

A fire of unknown origin left a family of five homeless and extensively damaged Powlett’s Place, a popular bar at Upper Carter’s Gap, Christ Church, yesterday.
Temporary housing was being arranged for Peter and Sherry-Ann Powlett and their three children.
A tearful Peter Powlett told the Daily Nation that no one was at home when the fire broke out.
“I was on my way to work and the kids were at school. A friend called my wife and told her our house was on fire and she then called me,” he said.
Powlett added that it seemed that the person who rented and ran the bar, which was attached to the house, would be moving on.
Member of Parliament for Christ Church South, John Boyce, who visited the scene and spoke to the Powletts, said arrangements had been made to secure temporary housing for the family and to assist with school supplies and whatever else they needed.
Two tenders, one from Probyn Street headquarters and one from Worthing Station, responded to the 12:25 p.m call. Ten fire officers tackled the blaze, under the command of Divisional Officer Ricky Gittens. (CA)

LAST NEWS