IT MATTERS TO MARIA – Catch Me racers in for a refund
ALL OF the people who participated in the Catch Me If You Can mile-and-a-half road race back in June will be getting a refund of the fee they paid to register for the race.
Three weeks ago, I highlighted a situation in which at least one participant, Keithland King, who placed first among the men, complained that up to then he had not received his prize of a 2010 Toyota Corolla, neither had he been able to locate the organiser of the race, Ken King.
Ken King, who contacted our offices after the story appeared, said there was nothing sinister about the organising of the race. He explained that the company Brainworkz Inc., which had organised the event, “was now in the red” because the event had been unsuccessful.
He said he was one of the 16 directors involved in Brainworkz Inc.
He further stated that after meeting with their attorneys, a decision had been made to “close off the event totally and refund all of the individuals who participated”.
King said that despite the fact that Brainworkz had pumped thousands of dollars into organising the event, a number of unforeseen situations had occurred which negatively affected the event, and the anticipated number of participants never materialised.
King said Catch Me If You Can was conceptualised back in 2008. “We did the legwork and we got some sponsorship and we launched the programme. We figured it would have been realistically very simple because it was a simple idea. The numbers we were looking at – our break-even – would have been 2 800 people. That would have covered the cost. We were not looking to make money; we just wanted to do something successful and we were looking to make this an annual event and to extend it to the region right up to Miami.”
He said he received good sponsorship but ran into difficulties when two sponsors pulled out because of the recession.
According to King, when the event finally came off on June 6, after repeated cancellations, only 18 women and about 40 men participated.
As to the two 2010 Toyota Corollas that were being offered as the first prizes, King said that Brainworkz applied to Government for duty free concessions on the vehicles but after awaiting a reply for a long time, they finally received the disappointing news that the concession would not be allowed.
He said participants would be contacted by the company about the refunds.