Bajan to box for Mexico City
Barbadian super heavyweight boxer Damian Sealy has been chosen to take part in the inaugural World Series of Boxing.
When Sealy, 25, leaves the island today, he will join other boxers from the Americas region as part of the Mexico City Guerreros (Warriors), one of four franchises from this region.
The boxers will be put through their paces by coaches in preparation for a series of bouts which will begin on November 20 and continue each weekend until March 18, 2011, followed by the play-offs.
“I’m not 100 per cent,” Sealy told NATIONSPORT on Monday evening prior to a training session with national boxing coach Gary Bowen.
“I was sick three weeks ago and had a setback, but where I am now, I feel confident.
“I was training all the time even though it wasn’t coming off the way I wanted, but I stuck in there and never gave up.”
Sealy received the news recently by email and is ready to take on this phase of his boxing career.
Earlier this year, he competed at the Central American and Caribbean Games in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. Last year he was invited to take part in the Amateur International Boxing Association (AIBA) President’s Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan.
The World Series of Boxing was scheduled to get underway in July, but after a series of administrative challenges, it is now on stream.
On November 20, the Mexico Guerreros will take on the Memphis Force. The other teams in the Americas region are the Miami Gallos and Los Angeles Matadors.
There are also four teams each in Europe and Asia.
Teams will play each other twice in a home-and-away format. The winners of each region, as well as the best second-placed team will advance to the play-offs.
Sealy said that while he was in Mexico, he would learn Spanish and has also expressed an interest in learning physical education.