Stoute: Late PM paved way for trust
ALL GOOD THINGS come to those who wait.
That was the response from Richard Stoute, who had been granted $400 000 injection for his 34-year-old competition in the form of a trust announced by Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler during his presentation of the 2010 to 2011 Financial Statement and Budgetary Proposals in the House of Assembly on Monday.
Speaking to the DAILY NATION from New Jersey where he received an award from a Barbadian organisation last weekend, Stoute said the ground was paved for the trust by the late Prime Minister David Thompson, who supported his efforts with the youth and invited him to submit proposals for the show in 2009 and 2010.
Stoute, who is often referred to as the godfather of Bajan entertainment, expressed thanks to Thompson, to Sinckler for following through, and to the entire Government for the investment.
“It is a phenomenal feeling. I hope it is an example for all of the young people in Barbados who give up so easily, because life is not about giving up. One has got to believe in God and themselves and the dreams that they have. Set goals and aspire to achieve them . . . It’s not good enough to say, ‘look I quit after three or four tries’. I believe that you should really make your best effort and stay with what you believe in, and I think that once that is done you should succeed,” he stated.
As far as any possible changes to upcoming shows are concerned, Stoute said that except for booking next year’s dates at the Plantation Garden Theatre, no decision had been made as to what changes would come on stream for next year.
Despite repeated calls from several interested parties, Stoute said that the reintroduction of a live band was unlikely.
“I find that musicianship in Barbados has suffered. There is a lack of interest . . . . A lot of the kids have suffered because the music wasn’t played properly on the night of the presentation,” he charged, adding that contestants got to rehearse on their own with the tracks.
“I thank God for technology. I don’t think that a band could play better than what is originally on the track. If you have a 16-piece orchestra backing a child, it is much better than a band that is guessing . . . . I think [the contestants] are much happier now, because [they are] the only [ones] that can make mistakes. And I think technology has played a pivotal role in helping to give them the confidence in themselves,” he suggested.
Winner of the 16th edition of the competition, Adrian Clarke, was happy that Stoute was getting some much needed assistance.
“Anything being done for entertainment as far as Richard Stoute is concerned is great. He has done a lot; it’s great . . . . He provided a platform for a lot of us to be heard and seen,” Clarke noted. (YB)