Tino: My bad
A repentant Tino Best has unreservedly apologized for the conduct that led to his omission from the Barbados team for the second round WICB regional four-day match against England Lions starting today at Kensington Oval.
The exuberant fast bowler has been slapped with a one-match suspension for an “unprofessional” display he used in showing his disapproval to fitness drills conducted by strength and conditioning trainer Shannon Lashley at Kensington on Wednesday.
“At the beginning of the year I did an interview about my improved attitude. I don’t want to be a hypocrite by saying something and going against what I said,” Best told the WEEKEND NATION yesterday.
“I wasn’t comfortable with the way the trainer was training us. I should have gone a different route. I got a little hot-headed. It is something I am trying to control. I said some words to her that were unbecoming of a professional cricketer. I was wrong.
“I am being punished with a one-match suspension and I would like to apologize to Barbados, my teammates, the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA), my family, friends and fans from the bottom of the heart.”
Best patched up his differences with team management yesterday and joined the rest of the players in training.
He has also promised he would be in the nets bowling over the weekend with coach Vasbert Drakes in an effort to retain his sharpness for the remainder of the competition.
While admitting his guilt, Best shared the view of Drakes that a picture carried on the front page of yesterday’s DAILY NATION in which he was captured pointing his hand while making a statement with the coach backing him might have conveyed the wrong impression.
In the presence of Best, Drakes told the WEEKEND NATION that the two had come to an agreement and he encouraged the player to come to practice.
“It was a very unfortunate situation, but going forward, we want to try our best to accommodate any of our players who feel uncomfortable in our practice sessions. We’re going to try to do the best to make them feel comfortable,” Drakes said.
“That situation was down to a lack of communication. I wasn’t on the compound. Shannon drew it to my attention.
“A few weeks ago, we spoke about setting some standards. As one of the senior guys in the team, Tino actually carries the training sessions when Shannon is not present.”
The 29-year-old Best, who has played 14 Tests and 12 One-Day Internationals for the West Indies and was last month named as a reserve in the World Cup squad, was Barbados’ most impressive bowler in the first-round match against Trinidad and Tobago at Guaracara Park. After a disappointing opening spell with the new ball on the second evening, he returned to bowl impressively on the third day, consistently producing yorker length balls on the way to grabbing three wickets.
In the absence of Best, the Barbados selectors have recalled recuperating fast bowler Fidel Edwards who will be playing his first major match since October 2009.