Posted on

Milan champs

Renaldo Gilkes

Milan champs

Social Share

Meridian Youth Milan?captured their second Premiership football title last Sunday at the National Stadium in immaculate fashion.
The Checker Hall, St Lucy footballers demolished title challengers Mackeson Brittons Hill 3-0 to add to their 2006 championship.
Claytons Kola Tonic Notre Dame continued to make a late surge for second spot with another high-scoring affair, defeating Pride of Gall Hill 4-2l, while in the opening encounter ICE Wales dismissed Bagatelle 3-0.
Milan knew a win would guarantee them the Digicel Premier League title while Brittons Hill, on the other hand, needed a win not only to spoil Milan’s celebrations but to be in with a glimmer of hope to capture the title.
Milan were off to a sublime start, making their intentions clear as they bombarded the Brittons Hill team with constant attacks. However, poor finishing robbed them of early goals with Kenroy Skinner being the main culprit and skipper Norman Forde being guilty of missing relatively easy chances.
Despite a goalless first half, Milan enjoyed the most of it, as they pinned back the Valery lads and restricted their attacks quite well. Milan’s best chance of the first half came when substitute Ramon Greaves, on for the injured Jamar Watson, slammed his shot off the left upright just seconds after his introduction.
Brittons Hill’s second half started disastrously as their top goal scorer Walton Burrowes was red-carded in the 52nd minute for his second bookable offence.
Milan took the advantage of the extra player and capitalized in the 67th minute. Some good attacking play down the right by Greaves saw him deliver a clever ball back to Skinner, who used two touches just around the penalty to fire his effort past the diving Kerry Holder.
Ten minutes later it was Skinner making amends for his first half misses. A neat “one-two” with Dwayne “Boot” Griffith opened up space for Skinner on the edge of the box to drill a right-foot shot into the right corner.
Corey “Santa” Barrow drove the final nail in Brittons Hill’s coffin. A lapse in concentration by centre back Gregory “Lalu” Goodridge led to Barrow dispossessing him on the edge of the area, which left him one-on-one with Holder to easily place his effort neatly past the helpless custodian in the 88th minute to seal victory and the title.
The teenagers did it again for Notre Dame, as three of the four goal scorers are all under 20. Decarlo Jemmott opened the scoring for the Dames as early as the second minute, scoring from close range after a precise pass from national left full back Carl Joseph.
However, Gall Hill would quickly reply, equalizing and taking the lead soon after, compliments strikes from Jamal Chandler in the fifth and Jason Goodridge in the eighth minute. After taking the lead it was all downhill for Gall Hill as custodian Omari Eastmond was ejected for apparent serious foul play on midfielder Aaron Leacock.
Diquan Adamson, who has struck a late touch of form, equalized for the Dames in the 58th minute, neatly tucking a header into the far post after a cross from the right-hand side by Rudy Grosvenor.  This was the highlight of Grosvenor’s night as he was soon ejected for an altercation with Curtis Odle.
Premier League debutant Jermaine Best gave Notre Dame the lead in the 82nd minute driving forward before shooting a low shot past stand-in goalkeeper Oscar Nero. Skipper John Parris came off the bench to wrap up the win for Notre Dame in the 87th minute with a fantastic 35-yard strike from the left side of the field.
Dwayne Stanford sent an obvious message to the national selectors in the first match as he single-handedly demolished Bagatelle with a hat trick in the 58th, 82nd and 90th minutes.