Popsicle licks ’em
THE MQI BANKS/LIME PIC-O-DE-CROP competition was a choice pick of a fair for David Popsicle Hall.
Popsicle, the lone newcomer to the calypso Finals, walked away with the Kia Sportage valued at $103 700, a trophy, $10 500 in cash and other prizes after being crowned the 2011 Calypso Monarch.
It was jubilation at Kensington Oval after defending monarch Gabby was announced in second position.
Popsicle excited fans during the preliminary stage with the popular Don’t Sell Cornwell, which speaks to the harsh economic times, and I Would Pick A Fair, a clever double entendre, which addresses the level of violence in the country.
The House of Soca calypsonian was outstanding in both halves, with fans dancing around the grounds of Kensington Oval even before he appeared on stage to deliver his two songs.
The finalists in order of position are as follows:
1. Popsicle (House of Soca) 436
2. Gabby (De Big Show) 419.5
3. Blood (Headliners) 419
4. Adonijah (De Big Show) 402.5
5. AC (Cave Shepherd All Stars) 401
6. TC (De Digicel Big Show) 400
7. De Announcer (Cave Shepherd All Stars) 391
8. Kid Site (Bacchanal Time) 389.5
9. Chrystal Cummins-Beckles (Cave Shepherd All Stars) 386.5
10. Khiomal (Celebration Time) 376
Full story in today’s SATURDAY SUN.