Posted on

Committee to rule on rally results

Trevor Thorpe

Social Share

Motorsport fans will have to wait for the outcome of a committee meeting of the Motoring Club Barbados Inc. (MCBI) tomorrow for the results of last Saturday’s Rally of the Sun and Stars.
Protests from some drivers ahead of the planned presentation of awards at the Barbados Rifle Association (BRA) on Sunday night prevented club officials from proceeding with the ceremony, and president David Williams said the matter would have to be referred to the committee of the club.
“We will be meeting Wednesday and this matter would be dealt with then. We cannot do anything more at this time. The provisional results were released and after the times were corrected, we released them. After receiving no protests, they were made official, but we now have protests on our hands,” he said.
Sean Gill and Michael “Zippy” Cummins had been named the provisional winners at the end of the rally, ahead of Paul “The Surfer” Bourne and Robert Plant, and John “Penti” Powell and Mike Fennell. But when the times were corrected, the order was changed to Bourne and Plant, Gill and Cummins and Powell and Fennell.
The final tarmac rally of the season, the event had aroused much interest and excitement as a result of the entry of Trinidad and Tobago-based former champion Powell and Fennell in a Subaru S14 WRC.
They were joined by last year’s winner Hill and Gittens in the Toyota Corolla WRC; Sol Rally Barbados 2011 winner Roger “The Sheriff” Skeete and Louis Venezia in the Subaru Impreza WRC S12; Bourne and Plant in the Ford Focus WRC07 and the pair of Gill and Cummins in the Suzuki SX4 WRC.
But soon after the 1 p.m. start last Saturday the pair of Greg “Hotty” Cozier and Natasha Farnum suffered a blown engine on their Ford Escort MkII two-wheel drive.
Neil Armstrong and Barry Ward were forced out due to power steering problems on their Toyota Starlet, while mechanical problems sidelined Stuart Maloney and Trevor Perkins in a Ford Fiesta, before Skeete and Venezia crashed out on the Isolation Road course. The pair emerged unhurt but the Subaru S12 was badly damaged.