Posted on

T&T Minister: State of emergency saved “innocent lives”


BEA DOTTIN, [email protected]

T&T Minister: State of emergency saved “innocent lives”

Social Share
Share

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad – National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy has reiterated that the state of emergency (SOE) imposed since August was necessary to save “innocent lives” but again refused to give details as to who or what organization was behind the possible bloodbath.
Speaking in the Senate on Thursday night during the debate on the TT$54.6 billion (US$9.1 billion) budget, Sandy told legislators that the SOE, along with a five-hour curfew, had drastically reduced the number of serious crimes on the island.
Sandy referred to a letter he received from a Trinidad and Tobago citizen hailing the initiative and urging the Kamla Persad-Bissessar-led five party coalition People’s Partnership government to keep the SOE in place for an indefinite period.
“That is the type of responses we have been getting and I am saying we are trying to save these same youngsters, we are trying to save their lives and if one father can have their son in their old age to take care of them . . . well then I respectfully submit that the state of emergency was a success”.
More than 4 000 people have been detained since the SOE, and Sandy again claimed responsibility for urging the government to impose the measure, telling legislators he had no regret.
Last month, Sandy told the House of Representatives that the SOE was necessary since it would have made the 1990 failed coup by members of the radical Jamaat Al Muslimeen group “look like a garden party”.
But he has never indicated what would have caused the bloodbath in the country despite repeated calls from the main opposition People’s National Movement (PNM) that has accused the government of using the SOE as a crime plan. (CMC)

LAST NEWS