Posted on

St Thomas high

Renaldo Gilkes

Social Share

St?Thomas’ dream run in the David Thompson Memorial Constituency Council Football Classic continued as they booked a semi-final spot by defeating St Michael North West 1-0 last Wednesday night at the Gall Hill Playing field, St John.
In the second game battle of town versus country, The City came from behind to defeat St Lucy 3-1 in extra time.
St Thomas, unlike most of the other teams, do not have a Premiership or First Division player in their squad. However, what they do have is chemistry, determination and a will to win, qualities which have taken them to the Final Four.
The lone goal came from Carlton’s wing back Kevin Scott, who curled a free kick into the “V” of the right corner in the 25th minute, leaving the St Michael North West custodian in pure disbelief and the St Thomas team in joy.
St Michal North West tried to claw their way back into the game but resolute defending by St Thomas ensured one goal was enough.
The feature match sought to settle an argument that has been going on for years in all sporting circles; who is better – Town or Country?
St Lucy got off the mark first with a fine piece of skill and trickery by skipper Kenroy Skinner on the right side. Skinner went around his marker and played a delightful cross on the carpet for Antoine Corbin to score the easiest of chances in the eighth minute.
The City dominated possession but had little to show for it as St Lucy custodian Callitos Lopez came up with some outstanding point-blank saves to deny The City front line.
The City equalized soon after resumption of the second half, with a fantastic strike from Richardson Rouse in the 49th minute. Rouse picked the ball up on the right side of the penalty area and blasted his shot precisely into the far corner, levelling the score.
St Lucy were handicapped by injuries to Corbin and Skinner, as well as the weary legs of Tige McClean, forcing coach Jerry Skeete to substitute three of his senior players.
The City did not do themselves too much good neither as left wing back Ronald Wickham was shown the red card after a scuffle with another player off the ball, leaving his team to play with 10 men for at least 45 minutes.
The scores remained locked after 90 plus minutes and into extra time they went. The City grabbed that important go-ahead goal in the 98th minute, again courtesy another strike from Rouse.
He was the beneficiary of a poor back pass by Llewellyn Broomes and displayed neat dribbling ability to take out two defenders and Lopez before slotting into an open net.
The City drove the final nail in the coffin after 119 minutes when Dwayne Mars took a right foot shot which gave Lopez no chance, as he dived to his right in vain.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Maximum 1000 characters remaining in your comment.