Families lose all to fires
THE NEW YEAR has started off on a bad note for two families, whose homes were hit by fire.
The two-bedroom home of the Jones family of Amber Lane, Sayes Court, Christ Church, was gutted and all their uninsured possessions destroyed soon after the start of 2012.
Neither sisters Rosemary and Sena Jones nor Rosemary’s 12-year-old daughter were at home when they received the message at around 12:30 a.m. that their house was ablaze.
By the time six fire-fighters under the command of acting Regional Officer Tyrone Trotman reached the densely populated area the fire had already gutted the residence.
A distraught Rosemary Jones indicated that both she and her sister were employed and that they might possibly stay with some relatives. But she added that her daughter should be returning to school on Wednesday but all of her clothes and books were burnt.
Yesterday around 5:30 p.m. Rachel Parris and her two young daughters went home to find firemen extinguishing a fire in their apartment.
A shocked Parris said: “My passport, bed and everything gone. I left here late this evening around 4:30. I really can’t believe this.”
One daughter asked: “Mummy, what are we going to do now?”
A resident of one of the apartments in the complex which suffered water damage said she heard a crackling sound while watching television.
When she investigated the building was on fire. (AH/KB)