Posted on

Not eye to eye on Warrens


Carlos Atwell

Not eye to eye on Warrens

Social Share
Share

The changes at the D’Arcy Scott Roundabout in Warrens, St Michael, make the traffic plan one of the worst ever conceived. It is also, apparently, one of the best.
Opinions differed yesterday as the MIDWEEK NATION spoke to motorists about the widening of the road that now allowed traffic to veer off the roundabout and enter/exit the business area where Simpson Motors and H&B Hardware are located.
“I think it’s a waste of taxpayers’ money. I had a meeting with the Ministry of Transport & Works but the deputy CTO [Chief Technical Officer Philip Tudor] had a solution for everything so I didn’t bother.
“I thought the road by H&B [located a few metres from the roundabout] would have been used to keep traffic off the roundabout but they instead chose to push traffic back on it, then place unsound regulations,” said Basil Job.
He estimated that there had been about 35 accidents near the roundabout so far, which he said showed a lack of planning.
“They call it the Greater Warrens Traffic Plan but it is really greater traffic in Warrens!” he said.
Andrew Franklyn operates the mobile division of the Beagle’s Bar & Restaurant and said he found the changes made it easier to access the business complex.
“It will alleviate traffic because once upon a time getting into the complex used to take long, but not now. Every time there are changes, you have to get accustomed,” he said.
Gabrielle Barrow said the roundabout was now “too big and confusing” and suggested that overhead signs be put in place as many people were not sure which lane to take to go where.
Clen Watson and Perry Jackman said there was nothing wrong with the new design save for a lack of overhead signage and making more than one entrance and exit for Simpson Motors and H&B Hardware.
Carol Sargeant called the design an “oblong-a-bout”, saying there was a sharp angle where motorists had to either slow down or spin out. She also took exception to the turn-off into Simpson Motors and H&B Hardware.
“There is no need for the business sector to have its own turn-off as it makes the middle lane back up. Last Friday the right lane was made to be able to go straight but now people are crossing over each other even more. I avoid it whenever I can,” she said.
Orlando Barker said it was a matter of using common sense since the new design was “straightforward”, while Adrian Hutson said his only problem was the “dangerous” turn-off to Simpson Motors and H&B Hardware, which he avoided.
Rachel Harewood believed that a sustained educational programme was needed to make people fully understand what was required because it was difficult to read the markings made on the road.
Minister of Transport & Works John Boyce toured the area last Saturday and asked Barbadians to be patient as the traffic changes at Warrens were part of a three-year plan and Government would keep the public informed through the media.
Nicole Griffith summed up her feelings on the situation: “People have to get accustomed but Bajans don’t like change.”

LAST NEWS