Posted on

Win No.4 for Wales

Renaldo Gilkes

Social Share

Weymouth Wales raced to their fourth win of the Digicel Premier League with a hard-fought 2-0 victory over Pinelands on Sunday night when Premier League action moved to the Orange Hill Playing Field because of the unavailability of the National Stadium.
In the other matches, two teams registered their first wins of the season.
Mackenson Brittons Hill defeated Barbados Defence Force (BDF) 2-0, while in the feature match Bagatelle dug deep to defeat Pride of Gall Hill 1-0.
BDF, struck with a series of injuries, plunged into further disaster in the 11th minute when left-back Tariq Highland was given a direct red card for what seemed like a harmless challenge on a Brittons Hill player.
The change of venue was seemingly the remedy needed for Brittons Hill to register their first win.  
After a loss, followed by two draws, the supporters were becoming agitated.
Strikes from Walton Burrowes in the 29th minute and Luther Watson in the 67th secured the win for the Valery boys.
Wales displayed character and the will of potential champions.
Despite missing two of their most influential players in Dwayne McClean and Jabarr Greene, Wales still kept their shape and playing pattern.
Pinelands never seemed threatening in attack and skipper Lionel Paul lacked the support to penetrate a disciplined Wales defence.
After a see-saw first half, Wales came alive and scored their first goal in the 65th minute.
Zaccheus Polius popped up on the right-hand side and drilled a low cross into the area which was met by a deft touch from Dwayne Stanford. Romayne Primus could not react fast enough as the ball flew past him and into the goal.
Wales were a bit more settled now and it was evident in their patient passing game.
Their second goal finally came in the 87th minute, again from their front man Stanford, who glanced his headed effort to the far post, out of the reach of a diving Primus.
Prior to this encounter, Bagatelle were sitting at the bottom of the table after two defeats.
Gall Hill, playing a new brand of football, dominated possession and forced their opponents back for the most part of the first half.
Their best effort of the match came when Ryan Griffith cut past his marker and struck the right post.
Bagatelle, chasing for most of the match, displayed perseverance and were rewarded with a goal in the 79th minute.
Some “horseplay” in the back by sweeper Oscar Nero resulted with Ayoola Cyrus benefiting from miscommunication between Nero and custodian Omari Eastmond.
Cyrus found himself between the two and played a neat lob into the far corner to spark jubilation in the small Bagatelle camp.